Skip to main content

We Are EIU - BGS Faculty

EIU B.A. in General Studies Faculty Members 



We recently asked our professors to tell us a little bit about themselves, including what they enjoy about teaching at EIU and how teaching adults has impacted their teaching. We also wanted to spotlight some of the work and achievements that our faculty members have accomplished outside of EIU BGS

We are very excited to share their stories and experience with our fans to showcase pride the faculty & students share in the School of Continuing Education at Eastern Illinois University and in the B.A. in General Studies program. 



Dr. Teresa Britton teaches Philosophy at EIU-BGS 

I like that BGS students attend (class); they are really smart students.  They are eager to learn and know how to have fun too. Teaching for EIU is great as I am part of a large and talented faculty connected to a larger professional world.  We are active and engaged scholars and researchers and it feels good to be part of an A team. 

I am the new Book Reviews Editor of Philosophy Now— a magazine for “everyone interested in ideas.”  I love ideas and I try to pass that on to my students.  I teach a course called Meaning of Life.  That is something I spend too much time thinking about.  But perhaps students enjoy thinking about it for a little while.  In Cultural Foundations II we will experience Qi Gong and meditation directly.  We will be visitors and tourists in the fascinating world of Eastern philosophical thought.





Dr. Craig Eckert teaches Sociology at EIU-BGS

I am originally from Bayonne, NJ and went to Marist Catholic HS in Bayonne, received my BA and MA in Sociology from the University of Oklahoma and my PhD in Political Sociology from the University of Missouri- Columbia. I had a 28 year career at Eastern Illinois University's main campus in Charleston, serving as the Chair of the Department of Sociology & Anthropology for my last five years. I loved teaching from the very first moment I taught a class as I was finishing my MA degree at OU. 

Teaching in the School of Continuing Education program is especially gratifying because of the generally high quality of the students. I marvel at the ability of adult learners to balance their jobs/careers, home life (often including children), and classes while taking online, hybrid, and weekend classes. It speaks volumes about their commitment and time management skills. (Incidentally, my wife, Karen, was such a student and it is something that I respect immensely about her.) Spending weekends with BGS students is a pleasure -- and the fact that I get paid for it is a bonus!

Since I retired from full time teaching in 2014, I am happy that I still teach. In my spare time, I love to golf, read (especially about sports), and attempt to keep up with Karen, who is always "dragging" us off to Ravinia to watch live music in a beautiful venue in Highland Park, IL . We also have 5 children between us and three grandchildren, so that keeps us busy as well. 

I am truly blessed to have spent my life doing something that I loved, something that was never a "job." The students continue to make it so fulfilling and there is no doubt that has made it easier for me to "glide" into my retirement.  




Dr. Alan Baharlou (Professor Emeritus) 

I came to the EIU in 1980 as the chair of the Geology /Geography department. Before that, I was chair of Geology Department at Phillips University in Enid, Oklahoma for 13 years. While I was there, I offered many workshops for employees who worked in oil and gas explorations. I also directed field trips to the Middle East, Scandinavia and the Soviet Union.

At EIU, in addition to chairing the department, I also taught Geochemistry and Senior Seminar to our on campus students. I have been teaching for the School of Continuing Education since 1980, at various sites throughout Illinois in a weekend format. I have continued teaching BGS courses since I retired from EIU in August 2005.

Teaching BGS courses is an exciting & rewarding academic experience. A majority of students in the BGS, courses are non-traditional, paying their own tuition and taking the courses for their immediate career advancement. They ask relevant questions, and most importantly, are willing to study diligently to perform well in the courses.

Eastern Illinois University is very focused on student academic experiences as well as personal attributes, which is essential in our democratic society. At EIU, we have a motto “We Are EIU” to emphasize our attitude toward our students and their families. Every University has libraries, laboratories, sport activities, etc. At EIU our attitude, caring, compassion and other outstanding human attributes represent EIU, “We Are EIU,” and we emphasize that in in every opportunity we get.

I currently teach a senior seminar (Spaceship Earth) Science and Technology and Restless Atmosphere (a climatology course).

Other accomplishments and achievements include receiving numerous outstanding teaching awards at EIU.  Also, the College of Sciences established the Alan and Carlene Baharlou Service Award and recognized Alan Baharlou’ s Services by establishing a garden by the University Lake on the Westside with three  bald cypress trees, a bench and a plaque designating his contributions to the University.

To learn more about our faculty members please visit our website & connect with us on Facebook !






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Returning to College as an Adult Student

Get motivated & let the  staff in the  School of Continuing Education Eastern Illinois University   help you get started.  I recently saw the above quote posted on a friend’s Facebook page and immediately thought of the adult learners I work with at Eastern Illinois University. I direct the B. A. in General Studies degree, an adult degree-completion program offered at various locations in Illinois and online. New and prospective students often feel the need to explain why they did not complete their bachelor’s degree “when they should have” or at the “right time.” What does that mean exactly? Is there a “right time” to earn your college degree? I would argue that time is different for each of us. We speak of “traditional’ and “non-traditional” learners in higher education. What does that mean? At one time the typical college student was between 18-22 years of age.   Most students lived in residence halls where they were immersed in campus life. Today, more than 40% of

You're Going to Ask Yourself Why You Waited

    Angela Masouridis graduated from Eastern Illinois University in 2016.    She  was chosen as the commencement speaker and delivered an inspiring speech about her experience at the graduation ceremony in front of her professors, peers and mentors.   Not only did Angela return to college as an adult, but also as a single mother. Her hard work, determination and courage earned her not just a degree, but more importantly a sense of pride.      Since her graduation Angela has enrolled in the graduate program at EIU and is continuing her education as an adult, and as a mother. She shared her EIU BGS experience with us in hopes of inspiring other adults who are considering returning to college.    Angela was able to take advantage of EIU BGS online degree courses , as well as the weekend courses at Harper College, and finish her degree through Eastern Illinois University adult degree program, inspiring her children, family and peers. Here is what she had to